By That Riverz Gurl Brand @thatriverzgurlbrandllc
So you want to be in media huh? The media industry is making waves for journalists, writers, podcasters, hosts, producers and more! There are some that say it is very competitive, but someone I recently interviewed stated that “You are only in competition with yourself.” That is the honest truth and even though some people in media think they are competing with the next big thing in the same industry, it can put fear in our hearts making us shun away from great opportunities! If you have the right determination and hunger for it, the rest will be history! Create your own lane and own opportunities when people aren’t trying to put you on or give you opportunities! You got to put yourself on! One thing about that is showing up and making yourself known and visible. Here are some tips on how you can stand out and get noticed in media by publicists.
Stand for who you are. Whether you are a freelance writer, journalist or radio personality, you have to stand for what you are made of. If being a journalist is something you love doing, then stick to that while exploring opportunities not only for yourself but for media outlets you are contributing for. Don’t allow others to tell you no different!
- Make yourself visible on social media. What’s the point of having a brand if you aren’t willing to show up for it on social media? Instagram has came a long ways and with the easy-to-use tools such as reels, insta stories, IGTV, short videos and more to make yourself visibible but creative as well. Use those tools to your advantage to engage more with your audience. If you are a radio personality or podcaster, showing some bts footage or a short video of yourself talking about your latest interview or topic will gain some views and insights on what you do.
- Reach out to PR firms and publicists. Since being a freelance writer for over ten years, I’m always reaching out to publications and media outlets to contribute on their platform. It helped me to share my experience with writing and now interviewing people. Publicists are always looking for the next best thing when it comes to getting exposure for their clients. If you are in the media, you are a valuable accesory to them. Create a pitch and tell them who you are and what your brand is. Collaborations are valuable and important in media.
- Chase opportunities. Media is filled with lots of opportunities such as attending press conferences virtually (since COVID-19), interviewing people and more! When people see your presence more, they start to pay attention.
- Keep reminding people who you are. Sometimes people forget who they email or talk to and all those emails, pitches and introductions, so be consistent and keep reminding people. Re-introduce yourself to your supporters, your network, your followers, your potential clients and future collaborations.
- Let your voice be heard. It doesn’t matter how many people who are doing the same as you, just continue doing what you are doing as a radio personality, as a podcaster, as a television host, as a journalist because someone out there is waiting for that opportunity to work with you. Get creative in your craft and allow your voice and your passion be heard.
So, with all of that said there are many different ways to be visible in the world of media. Sometimes you got to block out the negativity and the naysayers because they are the ones that want to see you fail and not succeed! And like this woman once told me “You are your own competition.”