Have you ever experienced some things in your life that was traumatizing and you just couldn’t let go of it? How did you handle the situation? Or was it handled at all? Letting go sometimes is very hard and can be mentally/emotionally draining if it is something that may acquire more time. I can think about all of the times where I’ve been in stressful situations that I was trying to control the end results, just to put myself in a deeper situation where I couldn’t let go of the problems. Let’s take a look at some steps when letting go.
- Create a positive mantra to help with painful thoughts: Writing positive affirmations for yourself is a great step.
- Practice mindfulness: Focus on the present instead of the situation or person.
- Be gentle with yourself: Instead of talking down on yourself, tell yourself all the wonderful things you are. Don’t beat yourself up too much.
- Allow the negative emotions to flow: If you are feeling angry, disappointed or even sad, feel those things instead of holding them all in. Be in your emotions.
- Engage with self-care: What better way to take care of yourself then to focus on you! Take a mental health break and focus on you.
- Talk about it: Don’t keep it all in! Talk with someone you trust such as family, a close friend or seeking a therapist is ideal. Whatever you do, don’t keep it bottled inside of you.